Ezekiel Dunagan is my fourth great-grandfather. Ezekiel was born in 1770, according to family Bible records, in Pendleton, South Carolina. His father Joseph was given a land grant for 200 acres near the Curahee Mountain in Georgia and it is then that the first Dunagan’s came into Georgia. Later Joseph along with his brother Joshua Dunagan, incorrectly transcribed in some Hall County records as ‘Joshua Darnigan’, lead the first group of settlers into what is now known as east Hall County Georgia. They were followed by Ezekiel and his brother leading the second group of settlers to the Joshua Dunagan’s settlement. After Joshua’s death, it became known as the Joseph Dunagan settlement. It is in the same area that we find the grave of Ezekiel and Lydia. Through the years, nature had taken over the cemetery and many graves have been lost. Thanks to those Dunagan’s who still live on the land that Ezekiel owned, we never lost the location of his grave site. It was a long time dream of mine to restore and mark the graves of my grandparents for present and future generations. Along with my cousins, we made this possible. The new tombstone was recently placed on the site. Thanks to each of you who contributed your time and money to make this possible.
I was born in Hall County Georgia where my ancestors have lived since the late 1790’s. My heritage is rich in histories and stories of my Dunagan ancestors and their related families. Being born and raised here has enriched my knowledge by tales that have been passed on from generation to generation. I have made it my personal quest to gather this knowledge and preserve it for our future generations.
- The Dunagan Family Reunion 2017 August 9, 2017
- Frederick Dunagan 1824-1907 August 4, 2017
- The Will of Benjamin Black Dunagan 1795-1884 September 2, 2015
- Dunagan, Georgia January 24, 2014
- Our Dunagan Reunion 2013 August 27, 2013
- My Patriot Forefathers by Darline Dunagan Scruggs June 30, 2013
- Orders to Build at Donnegan’s Station 1793 May 24, 2013
- “Thar’s Gold in Them Thar Georgia Hills” April 3, 2013
- Dunagan Land Warrants in Georgia March 26, 2013
- A Letter From James Reid Dunagan to R C Wood 1895 March 20, 2013
BestSherry on The Dunagan Family Reunion… Lynn (Cissy) Turner… on My Patriot Forefathers by Darl… Lisa Maureen Michael on A Letter From James Reid Dunag… Getting into the Fai… on Dunagan Family Bible Reco… Darline Dunagan Scru… on Following Joseph